Thursday, May 23, 2013

Thank God for Rain Boots

Collection has begun!

It's official, I have my first official pellet! I went out this afternoon at about 2:15 or so, in the pouring rain and walked back the half a mile to the roost and got it!

Hurray!

Of course, it has been raining here for about 2 days straight now so the path was not really a path anymore. It was more of a small river with a few "land bars" in the middle of it. But luckily, my mom bought me some lovely rain boots (well, they're really gardening boots) to wear today because I knew after yesterday I would need them. Yesterday I went and cleaned the area out of pellets. So I currently have a bucket outside the garage of about 20 pellets/pellet pieces because I don't know what to do with them yet.

Anybody want some tiny bones and fur?

Just kidding! I am going to ask if the nature center wants them for educational purposes though since I will be collecting about 15-20 extra ones every 2 weeks or so.

But back to today!

I trudged back through the river of a path and collected the pellet! It was under what I am calling "Tree #2" of the roost site. There are 2 trees I found a pile under and this was the 2nd one I found, so I figured Tree #2 was a good name. I put on my latex gloves and picked up, tried to pick as much pine needles I could off of it and put it in my Ziploc bag. 

Initial observation: Mr. Owl likes crayfish!

At first glance, you can see 4 or 5 crayfish claws stuck in the pellet, which makes me think he has been eating more out of the river the past few days. There are a few other bones in it as well, but there is an abundance of shell pieces and claws. We'll have to wait and see when I start dissecting next week! I wonder what tomorrows pellet will look like!

Sincerely,
Owl Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment